Care pathway for latex allergy
The College's care pathway for latex allergy is presented in two parts:
- an algorithm with the stages of ideal care, and
- a set of competences required to diagnose, treat and optimally manage latex allergy.
The algorithm has numbers which correspond to the competences outlined within the body of the document. Download the full anaphylaxis pathway:(PDF, 1.7MB, 8 pages).
We recommend that this pathway is implemented locally by a multidisciplinary team with a focus on creating networks between staff in primary and community healthcare, social care, education and hospital-based practice to improve services for children with allergic conditions. All specialists should have paediatric training.
Latex allergy definition
Latex allergy is defined as an immune mediated reaction to latex products (eg sporting equipment, balloons, contact dermatitis for gloves, condoms, surgical catheters); these encompass immediate and delayed hypersensitivity reactions. This pathway focuses on immediate reactions.
Core knowledge documents
No core knowledge documents were identified for managing children with latex allergies.
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Care pathway for asthma and/or rhinitis
The College's care pathway for asthma and/or rhinitis is presented in two parts: an algorithm with the ...
- Care pathway for urticaria, angio-odema or mastocytosis
The College's care pathway for urticaria, angio-oedema or mastocytosis (UAM) is presented in two parts: ...
- Care pathway for food allergy
The College's care pathway for food allergy is presented in two parts: an algorithm with the stages of ideal ...
- Allergy care pathways for children - information for health professionals
Allergy care pathways Angio-oedema (PDF, 1.7MB, 14 pages) Anaphylaxis (PDF, 2MB, 11 pages) ...
- Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors (SAS) Committee Members' Page
This page exists to provide Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors (SAS) Committee members with access to ...
- Frequently asked questions
Here are some frequently asked questions on each of our examinations. Please refer to them for up-to-date information ...