Quality improvement and clinical audit
The College undertakes quality improvement projects and national clinical audits to evaluate whether standards are being met and to help improve the quality of care.
We work closely with paediatric sub-specialty groups and engage directly with paediatricians, clinical managers and networks, as well as children, young people and their families to help drive improvements.
Quality improvement education resources and projects
- Situation Awareness for Everyone (S.A.F.E) - a programme developing and trialling a suite of quality improvement techniques
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (QIPS) programme - to educate those working in paediatrics in how to practice and encourage QIPS
- E-learning materials for clinical audit - free, open access sessions of 1-2 hours
- HeadSmart campaign - reducing the length of time it takes to diagnose brain tumours in children
We run high-quality national audits to help improve patient care and outcomes. These audits engage health professionals to systematically evaluate their practice against national standards.
- Decreased Conscious Level Multi-site Audit
- Epilepsy12 Audit
- National Neonatal Audit Programme (NNAP)
- National Paediatric Diabetes Audit (NPDA)
RCPCH is a collaborating partner in the RCP National Review of Asthma Deaths
Patient Reported Experience Measure (PREM)
This tool measures the experience of paediatric patients in urgent and emergency care settings, including GP surgeries, walk-in centres, emergency departments and the ambulance service. Following a pilot, the College produced a research report and final versions of the PREMs for children and/or parents to complete, as well as guidance to help you implement them.
In partnership with other organisations, the College manages and supports projects in paediatric medicines, including a parent and carer information resource and guidance statements for healthcare professionals.
HQIP website - clinical audit resources, documents and tools
Clinical Standards Team - email@example.com