Child Protection: from examination to court
This course is now fully booked.
We know that being involved in child protection cases can be a daunting experience.
We also know that every paediatrician will, at some point, be required to do so.
Our two-day course has been specifically designed to demystify this experience, and give you the skills and knowledge you need to perform confidently at every stage.
Senior trainees (ST6 and above) and consultants.
To develop an understanding of
- The legal processes (relating to child protection) in the Family Courts; and the role of the paediatrician within them
- How to engage effectively with the legal process
- How to write a good report as a professional witness
- How to give good and effective evidence as a professional witness
- How to avoid straying into the role of an expert witness
A full programme for the training course can be viewed.
Due to the nature of this course it is essential for delegates to complete precourse preparation.
Each delegate will be required to write a report based on one of three case studies which will be sent to you in advance of the course.
You will need to write the report and submit it no later than Friday 8 March 2013. Delegates who do not submit this report will not be able to participate in the mock trial workshop on 19 March (day 2).
By the end of the course you will have:
- A working knowledge of the general principles of criminal and family law
- A working knowledge of the paediatrician’s role in family court proceedings
- The ability and confidence to write effective reports
- A working knowledge of how to prepare for giving evidence as a professional witness in family court proceedings
RCPCH trainees*: £375
RCPCH members: £400
*SSASGs are eligible for the trainee rate
This course is now fully booked, please email the events team to be added to the mailing list for future dates.
For more information please contact the events team or call 020 7092 6104.