Expert witnesses in child protection: developing excellence
12 CPD credits
Paediatric expert witnesses play a fundamental role in child protection cases. The judicial system relies on opinion evidence to reach decisions affecting children’s lives and this can be in criminal, civil or family proceedings.
The intercollegiate safeguarding competences require experts to demonstrate certain criteria and solicitors must adhere to Part 6 of the Experts Code of Guidance when instructing experts and ensure the expert has experience, expertise and 'training appropriate to the value, complexity and importance of the case'
To support you in this essential role, The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health and Bond Solon have developed a two-day training course for all paediatricians who are either already acting in an expert capacity or wish to do so in the future.
The course will:
- Identify the issues to be addressed in your report
- Give you a structured approach to preparation and writing
- Enable you to express an independent view and argue your conclusion
- Inform you about the Expert’s Declaration and other formalities
- Ensure your reports are clear, succinct, independent and well-presented
- Inform you about how the court system works
- Explore what the judicial system expects and requires from you
- Allow you to assess both your own and others’ reports
- Examine and demystify the theory, practice and procedure of giving evidence
- Help you withstand cross-examination
- Give you key skills in presenting effective evidence
- Allow you to give confident, clear testimony in court
- Inform you about how to express opinion based on the foundation of fact
- Counter your fears
- Ensure you feel familiar with and comfortable in the environment
- Help you build confidence and credibility
The intensive, practical course has been developed in conjunction with Bond Solon, the UK’s leading expert witness training company. The course has been tailored to a paediatric audience and will be delivered by skilled and experienced trainers in the field.
The course will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop and improve one of your own reports
- Discuss case studies with colleagues and trainers
- Take part in interactive workshops, giving you valuable practical skills and tools
By the end of the course you will:
- Be able to produce high-quality reports and statements
- Know how to give effective oral evidence
- Understand the relevant law and procedure
- Understand your role in the process
- Be prepared to engage with the process
This events is aimed at experienced paediatricians who have previously appeared as an expert witness or have aspirations to do so.
Thefor this course is now available.
RCPCH members: £325
To register for this event please complete theand return to the events team.
For more information and any questions on this event please contact the events team or call 0207 092 6104.
Visit the Bond Solon website for information on their other courses.