We help healthcare organisations and clinical teams resolve concerns, review service model options and benchmark their service provision. Our service is confidential, established and influential, and tailored to each organisation's needs.
About our service
We work towards sustainable services with improved outcomes for children and young people and compliant, effective working arrangements for clinicians.
We help employers, commissioners, managers and clinicians design these services and work better together to harness the expertise within the whole service. We do this with expert clincal reviewers and our in-depth knowledge of standards and service models across the nation.
We offer an independent, confidential opinion where concerns have arisen about an individual paediatrician or a paediatric service.
We advise on approaches to safety, reconfiguration, service design and workforce planning, and support our members towards increased influence and strategic thinking, linking to our clincal leaders programme, quality improvement initiatives and other sources of expertise and advice. .
We tailor each review to best meet the requirements and composition of the organisation involved, and the 71 reviews we've completed to date include community, neonatal, acute and specialist paedaitric services, each one with bespoke terms of reference and personalised approach.
An Invited Review offers
- Centrally managed liaison and communication
- Consistent approach, but tailored to the individual situation
- At least two experienced and specialist reviewers who can provide assurance, perspective and breadth of knowledge
- Clear timescales for report delivery
- Quality assurance and endorsement by the RCPCH
- Formal involvement of experienced clinicians from nursing, obstetrics, emergency medicine, etc if needed
- Links to extensive data, information, expertise and advice held uniquely by the RCPCH, including policy and specialist clinical comment
- All-inclusive single costing covers fees, expenses and administration
- Professional communications and media team as needed.
(PDF, 115 KB) - for more information
(PDF, 157 KB) - for sharing with colleagues
Contact us for more details
We welcome enquiries from healthcare organisations (usually the Clinical Lead, Medical Director or Chief Executive), and can informally discuss in confidence how we may be able to help.
We also invite experienced consultant paediatricians to contact us about joining our panel of reviewers.
Sue Eardley, Head of Invited Reviews - firstname.lastname@example.org | 020 7092 6091
Most of our reviews are confidential, but some involve wider, public conversations with patients and their representatives, or are published by Trusts through Board papers. We have included some of them heres.
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
UHNM asked the RCPCH to lead an independent review of the Children's Emergency Services in Staffordshire to help shape the delivery of safe high quality emergency care for children in the future. The report is with the Trust and likely to be published soon.
Hospital services for children in Lothian
Neonatal services in north Wales
- North Wales Neonatal Review report (PDF, 750 KB)
- Welsh Government First Minister Advisory Panel - reports
Women's and children’s services in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire
Evaluating the impact of our service
Between Spring 2012, and August 2016 we undertook over 60 reviews of acute, community, neonatal, emergency and individual unit activity. Our evaluation shows overwhelmingly positive feedback and clear evidence of action planning and change.
Our key recommendations include
- Involvement of children, young people and families in the design and operation of services - and the use of RCPCH's '&Us' team
- Engage clinicians and ensure leadership in the development of new ways of working
- Manage communications to prevent misinformation and unnecessary anxiety
- Ensure adequate network support for changes to services
Our evaluation report describes how the service has developed over the last four years and some of the common themes which we have helped services to adddress. It gives recommendations for future service design, workforce planning and support to our members and paediatrics in general.
For more information, contact us on email@example.com. 020 7092 6091