Lothian review of children’s hospital services
In 2015 NHS Lothian Health Board asked the RCPCH to lead an independent review to help shape the provision of safe, high quality and sustainable children’s hospital services across Lothian in the future.
About the invited review
Acute hospital services in Lothian are currently provided on two sites, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh and St John’s Hospital in Livingston. The review follows long-standing recruitment difficulties and the temporary closure of overnight beds for children at St John’s Hospital last summer.
In the early part of 2016 the Review team visited the region to meet staff and people who work in the services, as well as patients, families and those who represent them.
The team comprised clinical experts who are experienced in reviews of this type, and a lay reviewer representing the voice of parents and carers.
Listening to the experiences and expectations of the people who use or work within the services in Lothian
Between December 2015 and April 2016 we:
- ran a survey which generated 1,896 responses online and 31 paper responses (see flyer, pictured)
- ran five focus groups across West Lothian and Edinburgh attended by 11 parents and carers, and 13 stakeholders
- published an email address for direct contact used by approximately 10 people
- attended the January meeting of the St John’s Stakeholder Group
- contacted all MPs, MSPs and Local Councillors across Lothian, and met with all interested representatives
- reviewed the transcripts of the public meetings held by NHS Lothian
- read the 400 emails sent to the Chief Executive and Chairman of NHS Lothian relating to the future of children’s services at St John’s.
We read every written contribution and noted those expressed at the focus groups and public meetings. We were also provided with information from the Health Board’s feedback and complaints processes.
Read our reports and news
(PDF, 120 KB, 8 pages)
(PDF, 565 KB, 81 pages) - published by the Health Board in advance of its Board meeting on 22 June 2016
More information can be found on the NHS Lothian website.