Workforce census 2013
Our biennial workforce census helps develop College workforce planning policy, and provides our members and the public with a unique view of the growth and trends in the UK paediatric workforce.
1: Focus on the paediatric workforce (download)
This section includes workforce numbers by grade, vacancies, types of paediatric posts, contract types, gender, age and information on place of graduation.
- Consultant and career grade workforce has risen since 2011 whilst SAS doctors and academic numbers have dropped.
- The gender split among consultants is 50/50.
- The overall rate of less than full time (LTFT) working for consultants has increased since 2011, from 20% to 22%.
2: Focus on the configuration of child health services (download)
- The number of organisations providing paediatric services has dropped from 226 in 2011 to 197.
- Reconfiguration and/or reorganisation has been completed in 54 UK organisations since 2011.
- Vacancies on all rota tiers have increased by 25.4%
3: Focus on community child health and safeguarding (download)
- The number of consultants working in a community setting has increased whilst the number of SAS doctors has decreased.
- Overall there has been a decrease in the number of services stating that they have joint working with CAMHS.
Across the UK, 53% of services have a separate safeguarding rota and 47% have safeguarding
cover as part of the general paediatric on call rota.
4: Focus on tertiary services (download)
This includes neonatal services, subspecialty services and trends, provision of subspecialty cover, Working Time Regulation (WTR) compliance for subspecialties and information about clinical networks.
- The total headcount of subspecialty consultants has increased by 10.6%
- There is an increase in the proportions of specialists in hospitals from 24% in 2011 to 26.1% in 2013.
Additional information on specific areas of the census:
|22||Table 1: Career grade workforce by country||Number of consultants in UK changed to 3718||09/03/2015|
|22||Table 1: Career grade workforce by country||Number of consultants in Wales changed to 161||03/02/2015|
|68||Table 40: Lead roles in community services by grade||Duplicate rows at bottom removed||03/02/2015|
The RCPCH (as the BPA) undertook its first census of the paediatric workforce in 1986 and has completed a biennial census since 1999.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact the workforce team:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 020 7092 6163