Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors (SAS)
The RCPCH SAS Committee promotes the interests of SAS doctors. This page provides information for SAS doctors, including how to contact the SAS Committee and other developments of interest.
This unique conference provides an opporunity for all SAS doctors as well as other Trust Grade doctors to hear from nationally renowned speakers and contribute to thinking on key NHS developments from a SAS perspective. A busy schedule of lectures and workshops allows delegates to tailor their attendance to suit their interest. There are sessions on education and ensuring CPD for SAS doctors; women and medical leadership; appraisal and revalidation; and the day will conclude with a panel discussion on leadership and the role of SAS doctors.
Delegates from all specialties are able to claim CPD points based on the intercollegiate CPD system. In addition the conference aims to provide an excellent networking opportunity for SAS and Trust doctors to meet and interact with colleagues from all Royal Colleges.
Call for Abstracts
The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges invites you to submit an abstract underneath the following conference themes:
- Patient care
- Improving clinical effectiveness and outcomes
- Improving patient experience safety in healthcare
- Management and leadership
- Medical education or academic excellence
Abstract submission closes at 9am on Friday 13 December 2013.
To learn more about this event, submit your abstract, or secure your place for £114 visit www.rcog.org.uk/events
How we work together - RCPCH and Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors
Thisoutlines some of the work that RCPCH does to support SAS doctors including:
- Education and Training
- Research and Health Policy
Education and Training Engagement and Support Activities for SAS Doctors
The Education and Training division has been working closely with the SAS Committee to develop and enhance support for SAS doctors working in paediatrics in a number of areas.
SAS doctor support from Education and Training is provided across the UK and summarised below:
- Careers advice to SAS doctors considering entering or re-entering the paediatric training programme, including information on accessing the national grid for sub-specialty training in paediatrics
- Advice and guidance to SAS doctors wishing to apply for and sit relevant components of the MRCPCH examination
- Advice and guidance to SAS doctors wishing to apply for and sit the DCH examination
- Advice and guidance to SAS doctors wishing to apply for entry to the paediatric specialist register either in paediatrics or a sub-specialty of paediatrics through the CESR routes
- Access to College ASSET (workplace based assessment) and e-portfolio accounts to support demonstration of competencies of the paediatric training curriculum, for use e.g. for CESR applications; if considering entry/re-entry to the paediatric training programme
- Opportunities to get involved as a College Tutor supporting doctors in your organisation
- Access to a range of educational courses, events and e-learning
- Access to the RCPCH CPD diary account to record CPD activities (although non-member option is available)
- Access to revalidation portfolio account to record revalidation supporting information
- Approval of educational courses for CPD arranged by/relevant to regional SAS representatives
- Access to revalidation advice and guidance
- Access to paediatric parent and carer feedback tool for revalidation
- Representation on committees relevant to the work of the Education and Training division.
SSASG Survey 2012
The SSASG Survey was commissioned in 2011 by the RCPCH SSASG Committee and Workforce to inform discussions around SSASG career development.
Please see thefor further details.
RCPCH Membership for SAS Doctors
If you are currently an Associate Specialist or Senior Clinical Medical Officer in paediatrics resident in the UK you can now apply for an Election to Ordinary Membership of RCPCH.
SAS doctors are also eligible for Associate Membership or Fellowship depending on their circumstances.
Please note that membership includes CPD monitoring and also is fully tax deductible meaning if you are a UK tax payer you can claim up to 40% of your subscription back from the Inland Revnue.
Please see categories of membership webpage for details.
SSASG Update Meeting at RCPCH Annual Conference 2012
The annual SSASG Update Meeting took place on 22 May 2012 and covered:
- SSASG Career Development
- SSASG Survey Results
- CESR - Lobbying for change
- Why SSASGs should be members of RCPCH
Please see the presentations from two SSASG Committee members below:
If you would like to raise issues or request information from the SAS Committee, then please contact the SAS Committee Administrator.
Also see the frequently asked questions.
View the current list of committee members: SAS Committee
RCPCH - supporting SSASG paediatricians
Click on the image below to view in full screen:
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors (SAS) Committee Members' Page
This page exists to provide Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctors (SAS) Committee members with access to ...
- Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctor (SAS) Regional Representatives
An elected SAS representative sits on each Regional Committee of the RCPCH. They are responsible for assisting SAS ...
- Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctor (SAS) Committee members
Committee membership The RCPCH committee for SAS doctors represents the specific needs of SAS doctors practicing ...
- Safeguarding Children and Young People (Named and Designated Doctor) Learning Resource
The project The Safeguarding Children and Young People Intercollegiate Document level 4 and 5 project aims to ...
- Child Health in the UK: The future
11-12 April 2013 saw the RCPCH’s inaugural workforce planning conference – Child Health in the UK: the ...
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration - Combined Programme (CESR (CP))
Important Update Information for those who entered Paediatric Specialty Training at ST2 and above from ...