Certification (CCT & CESR)
Paediatricians who practise as honorary, fixed term or substantive consultants in the NHS must be on the UK Specialist Register at the General Medical Council (GMC).
Entering the Specialist Register
There are a number of routes an applicant can take to be entered onto the Specialist Register, each requiring the College to check that the applicant is appropriately qualified. When an applicant applies for a specific route on to the Specialist Register, the College will assess their training, qualifications and experience and make a recommendation to the GMC on the applicant’s behalf.
Successful applicants will be issued with a certificate from the GMC, and those who hold full registration will be entered onto the Specialist Register.
Paediatricians may work in areas other than the specialty or specialties listed for them on the Specialist Register.
This section of the website details the areas of certification that the College is involved with:
- Application procedure for Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) & Certficate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration Combined Programme (CESR CP); for trainees that wish to apply for their CCT or CESR CP.
Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR); for applicants that may be eligible for the Specialist Register but have gained their training, qualifications and experience all or partly outside of a UK approved training programme.
Information regarding Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration Combined Programme (CESR CP); for trainees that have mostly followed a UK training programme, but also need to include some training completed outside UK approved training posts.
- Sub-specialty recognition; for applicants wishing to add a GMC approved sub-specialty to their entry on the Specialist Register.
For further information about the routes available for Specialist Registration, please visit the GMC website.
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT & CESR CP) for applicants that entered the run-through programme in 2007 onwards
For a paediatrician to take up a substantive, honorary or fixed-term consultant appointment in the NHS, it is a legal ...
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT & CESR CP) application information
For a paediatrician to take up a substantive, honorary or fixed term consultant appointment in the NHS, it is a legal ...
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR)
The CESR is for doctors who wish to join the Specialist Register, whose specialist training, qualifications or ...
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration - Combined Programme (CESR (CP))
Important Update Information for those who entered Paediatric Specialty Training at ST2 and above from ...
- East Midlands: North & South
Medical Schools University of Leicester University of Nottingham East Midlands Deanery ...
- Yorkshire & Humber
Medical Schools:- Hull York Medical School University of Leeds Sheffield University ...