The RCPCH offers guidance for all paediatric trainees in approved training posts on workplace-based assessments/Supervised Learning Events (SLEs).
On this page:
- Assessment guide
- Workplace-based assessments - including falsification protocol
- Online assessment systems - ASSET and ePortfolio
Our guide, An Informative Guide to Formative and Summative Assessment for Paediatric Trainees and Trainees (2nd edition, August 2015), is available to read on-screen or download.
Follow the links for detailed guidance and information on each SLE:
- Paediatric Mini Clinical Evaluation Exercise (ePaed Mini-CEX)
- Paediatric Case Based Discussion (ePaedCbD)
- Directly Observed Procedural Skills (DOPS)
- Paediatric Multi-Source Feedback (ePaedMSF)
- Discussion of Correspondence (DOC)
- Handover Tool, Acute Care Assessment Tool, LEADER CbD (HAT, ACAT, LEADER)
Advice for specific groups:
- For Spr Calman trainees
- For sub-specialty training (Level 3)
- For Less Than Full-Time LTFT) training - LTFT trainees should complete their assessments pro-rata and ensure these are spaced evenly among their different posts
Falsification of workplace-based assessments/SLEs
(PDF, 94KB, 5 pages) - please read this College guidance document on how we deal with potential falsification of workplace-based assessments
Trainees must complete their assessments on the online system, ASSET (Assessment Services for Education and Training).
Trainees can view their completed assessments on the online system, ePortfolio. Results are uploaded each week to their individual account.
Trainers can see the progress of their trainees within ePortfolio.
Due to the iterative and collaborative way in which the College's online systems have developed over time to support trainees and career grade doctors, members currently have access to four online support systems. Members often ask why they are not amalgamated and how they interlink.
Read our(MS Word, 14KB)
We are currently working to integrate ASSET with a new ePortfolio system, so that trainees and supervisors have one place to access all progression data - find out more