Applying to the BPSU
This page provides a brief outline of the process for applying to run a BPSU study. For full guidance, please consult the BPSU study application handbook.
- Phase 1 involved the submission of an initial application to the BPSU Scientific Committee.
- The application must show that the study fits the BPSU eligibility criteria.
- If the phase 1 application is approved by the Committee, a more detailed phase 2 application should be completed.
- The research questionnaire and public information leaflet should also be submitted to the Committee at this time.
Post phase 2
- If the phase 2 application is approved, MREC and CAG-HRA approval should be obtained and the IG toolkit completed.
Visit the Resources for investigators page for more information.
The current administrative charge for running a study through the BPSU is £10,000 for the first year (13 months) and £5,000 a year for subsequent years. The charge includes the cost of producing the protocol card (approx £500). Further costs may be applicable for additional printing or work.
Application submission dates
Phase 1 and 2 applications need to be submitted no later than four weeks before a BPSU Scientific Committee meeting. Dates for future meetings are:
- 23 January 2014
- 25 March 2014
- 15 May 2014
- 24 July 2014
- 25 September 2014
- 20 November 2014
How to apply
If you would like further information or to apply to run a study, please contact us.
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- BPSU studies
The BPSU supports studies that address a rare childhood disorder (or rare complication of a commoner disease) of such ...
- What is the BPSU?
Rare diseases and infections are an important cause of morbidity and mortality in childhood. Although ...
- Contact BPSU
If you have any questions about the work of the BPSU or would like to apply to run a study with us, ...
- BPSU - Patients and the public
The BPSU is committed to ensuring that patient and public involvement is embedded in its work in every way possible. It ...
- BPSU - Publications
Links and references to BPSU study publications are listed below by year of publication. 2013 Ani, ...
- BPSU Bulletins
The BPSU produces a bulletin three times a year, which can be downloaded using the links below: 2013 ...