Gender Identity Disorder
Dr Sophie Khadr, Academic Clinical Lecturer
UCL Institute of Child Health
30 Guilford St.
Tel: 0207 905 2190
- This UK and Republic of Ireland study aims to determine the incidence of Gender Identity Disorder (GID) among children and young people aged 4-15.9 years. GID occurs when a person’s gender identity differs from their biological sex, causing distress (gender dysphoria).
- This is a joint study between the British Paediatric Surveillance Unit and the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Surveillance System.
- Clinicians reporting a case that meets the case definition criteria will be sent a brief questionnaire to establish basic clinical details about the child or young person concerned. A follow-up questionnaire will be sent at one and two years post-notification.
- This study will provide important population-level data about the incidence, clinical presentation, co-morbidities and stability/persistence of gender dysphoria at one and two years.
- This data will inform service provision for and clinical management of this vulnerable group of patients.
Case definition: BOTH the following criteria (1 and 2) should be fulfilled:
Duration: November 2011 – November 2012 (13 months of surveillance). Follow-up until December 2014.
Funding: Tavistock & Portman grant via the Advisory Group for National Specialised Services
Ethical approval: This study has been approved by London Bloomsbury REC (REC Ref: 11/LO/1512) and the National Information Governance Board (NIGB) under Section 251. (Ref: ECC 8-02(FT4)/2011)
- Study Flyer (PDF, 62KB, 1 page)
Support Group: Mermaids http://www.mermaids.org.uk/; tel 0208 1234819.
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Rare childhood disorders revealed in British Paediatric Surveillance Unit's annual report
Although individually uncommon, collectively, rare diseases and infections account for a high number of chronic ...
- Conversion Disorder
Lead investigator Dr Cornelius Ani Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist and ...
- Turning the Tide launch
Hey guys, it’s been a while hasn’t it? A lot has happened in the last 6 months, including the Turning the ...
- Trainee Welcome Pack
Trainee welcome pack Information for paediatric trainees including details on: Enrolment ...
- DeCon Audit Report
Care of children and young people presenting to hospital with a decreased conscious level report The final report ...
- Turning the Tide: Harnessing the power of child health research
A report by the RCPCH Commission for Child Health Research In December 2010, the RCPCH held a meeting to discuss ...