In 1928 British paediatricians met at the first meeting of the British Paediatric Association (BPA). The association received Royal College status in 1996. Institutional archives record the history of the College and of child health, and can be searched on an online catalogue.
British Paediatric Association
The BPA was set up with the aims of advancing the study of paediatrics and to promote friendship amongst paediatricians.
Sir George Frederic Still, Professor of Paediatrics at King's College London, became the first President and Dr Donald Paterson, a Canadian paediatrician working in London, was the first Honorary Secretary.
From the humble beginings of being a friendly club with a membership of six, the BPA grew to be an organisation that represented a growing speciality and sought for improvements in child health. This included publishing papers and guidelines on clinical practice, undertaking research and organising conferences.
Throughout the 1970s and 80s BPA members began to feel that paediatrics needed to have its own Royal College. The association received Royal College status in August 1996, and took responsibility for the training and education of paediatricians in the UK. Sir Roy Meadow became its first President and HRH The Princess Royal, its Patron.
The College now has over 16,000 members, mainly hospital and community paediatricians. Most members live in the UK, although, there are some members and fellows who live abroad.
RCPCH College archives
These include records of RCPCH and British Paediatric Association from 1928 until present day.
For further information, please contact Adele Picken, Information Governance Manager, on email@example.com