RCPCH/VSO Fellowship Scheme
RCPCH currently operates a volunteering scheme in conjunction with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO).
RCPCH/VSO Fellowship Scheme
The RCPCH/VSO scheme is currently recruiting for placements in Ethiopia, Cameroon, the Gambia and Sierra Leone. Fellows work for a year in a developing country, using their clinical, teaching and managerial skills to improve local paediatric services.
If you have, or expect to have, MRCPCH in the next six months and are interested see the VSO website - paediatrics section. Applications from Consultant Paediatricians are particularly welcome.
See our current placements;
(PDF, 49KB, 1 page)
Contact Jennie Snook for more information. (email@example.com or tel; 020 8780 7235)
About the scheme
The VSO Fellowship Scheme offers Specialist Trainees one-year placements working to improve child health in developing countries:
- the Fellowship offers one-year placements working in paediatrics and child health in developing countries
- Fellowship placements are Out Of Programme Experience (OOPE) with structured support from RCPCH to evidence personal and professional learning
- Fellows develop their teaching, managerial and clinical skills, working in partnership with local professionals to improve outcomes for some of the poorest children in the world
- Trainees are supported by one or two senior doctors, providing a level of supervision. One is an in-country senior doctor available on a regular basis for advice and guidance. One is a UK-based paediatrician who will remain in regular contact via email. This can be your existing educational supervisor.
- VSO provides comprehensive training, living allowance, accommocation and health insurance. An in-country team of VSO staff and volunteers provide support while you are overseas.
Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 29KB, 3 pages)
Being a Fellow
'VSO strives to build a sustainable future. By training and teaching nurses and doctors here you make a real and lasting impact. I.''.'''' ''''''''''' ''.. .’ve really been challenged, and learnt to work without the resources I’ve come to expect in the UK. I’ve also learnt from the nurses that I have helped to train.'
Natasha Sauven, Fellow, Makeni District Hospital, Sierra Leone 2010-2011 - Natasha SauvenFellow, Sierra Leone 2011-2012F
'You can certainly expect to make a lasting difference... Not only are you making a difference for the individual patients and children that you are looking after, you can make a difference by training doctors to continue the work that you've been doing after you've left.'
Olly Jefferis, Fellow, Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Malawi, 2006-7 and 2010-2011
You can read about past and current Fellows experiences on our Members activities overseas page.
VSOs new campaign You to the Power of 10 illustrates the impact you could have as a volunteer.
VSO’s Health Information Day – Saturday 13 April 2013
Join VSO on Saturday 13 April for their Health Information Day in the VSO premises in Putney, London.
This event brings volunteering with VSO as a healthcare professional to life. You'll hear from returned healthcare professionals, giving a personal account of what it’s really like to be a VSO volunteer.
There will be an informal presentation on VSO covering the practicalities involved in volunteering, and the skills and experience they look for along with a Q&A session.
The doors open at 1:15pm with tea and coffee available. The event will start at 2pm and finish at 4pm.
The event is free but booking is essential. Book your place now.
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Stakeholder organisations
The following organisations have registered as project stakeholders or are partners in the National Epilepsy Audit: ...
- Chairman's Welcome
Dear Colleagues, Welcome. As chair of the Academic Board, I have the privilege and ...
- British National Formulary for Children (BNFC)
British National Formulary for Children (BNFC) provides up to date information on using medicines to treat ...
- Sub-specialty training (NTN grid scheme)
What is the NTN Grid scheme? At Level 3 of training (ST6-8/SpR years 3-5) trainees have the opportunity ...
- Fellowships and prizes
The College offers the following Fellowships and Awards Fellowships for people overseas who want to ...
- Four Children's Commissioners unite to protect children's rights
March 2011: RCPCH Policy Event: 'Four Children's Commissioners unite to protect children's rights' All ...