ManCel Simulation Centre
Greenway Building, Trafford General Hospital
To book or for more information: Please contact Dr Joydeep Mookerjee by email on email@example.com or telephone 07805789198
RCPCH has approved this activity for CPD in accordance with the current RCPCH CPD Guidelines
The course is delivered in 3 parts.
1. The first part is a series of interactive lectures with delegates working in pairs on individual workbooks.
2. In the second part of the course I discuss the 12 cases given in precourse homework with stepwise analysis of displayed ECGs. No formal comparison of their diagnosis is made in order to make this least threatening. This is followed by discussing some more case scenarios to informally test and consolidate the knowledge gained during the course.
3. In the third part of the course programme there is simulation of 6 acute case scenarios where delegates work in pairs on a mannikin and interpret the 12 lead ECG displayed with the help of a simulation software. They provide appropriate management to the mannikin thereby testing knowledge gained in APLS and integrating it with knowledge gained during the course. They are then debriefed by me in a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 depending on the complexity of the scenario.
At the end of the course the delegates will achieve the following objectives
1. Basic ECG
- Understand the basics of cardiac electrical activity
- Able to record a 12 lead ECG
- Able to interpret each component of an ECG
- Able to make a diagnosis of abnormalities in the ECG
2. Cardiac dysrhythmias
- Understand the causes and types of cardiac dysrhythmias
- Able to interpret a 12 lead ECG in dysryhthmia
- Able to perform simple manipulations to increase diagnostic yield
- Able to treat SVT with confidence
- Able to understand the aetiology and pathogenesis of ventricular tachycardia
- Able to recognise ventricular tachycardia and differentiate from supraventricular tachycardia
- Able to perform appropriate investigations
- Able to treat ventricular tachycardia with confidence
- Able to diagnose of cardiovascular causes of syncope
- Have a stepwise approach to investigation of syncope
4. Simulation on high fidelity mannikins:
- The simulation component is aimed to provide hands on training to improve confidence in diagnosing and managing common paediatric tachyarrhythmias.
Paediatricians, Neonatologists, Paediatric Intensivists, Paediatric A&E physicians, paediatric cardiologists