The Royal Society of Edinburgh
22-26 George Street
- RCPCH Members - £500
- RCPCH Trainees and SAS Doctors - £450
- Non RCPCH Members - £665
Having attended the course, I would be less anxious about appearing in court.
The RCPCH has developed this popular and successful course in conjunction with medical and legal experts who bring vast amounts of experience from within the child protection sector.
We will work with you to understand the structure, language and specifications of professional witness reports expected by different court systems.
To help your learning you will be required to submit a report in advance of this course.
You will also be given the opportunity to testify in a mock trial scenario with expert advocates providing guidance and feedback to help build your confidence.
In addition, you will learn more about key areas of knowledge in child protection, such as consent and performing examinations, ensuring you are equipped to deal with all common concerns that arise in child protection cases.
Learning aims, objectives and outcomes
This course will help equip paediatricians based in Scotland who are involved in child protection cases with the skills to gather evidence as part of clinical practice and effectively present this within professional witness reports and court testimony.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- produce professional witness reports to the court's required specifications
- testify in court as a professional witness with the skills and confidence required to provide the best possible outcomes for the child
- deal with common child protection concerns that arise in your clinical practice.
- Paediatric trainees ST6-8
- SAS doctors
- Consultant paediatricians
It was great to have a good idea as to how different courts work, to practice some questions with an advocate to have an idea what the experience will be like.