If you would like to join the waiting list for this course, please email our Events team on email@example.com
The RCPCH is pleased to offer this course at a reduced, introductory rate. Please note the fees may be subject to change.
RCPCH Member: Consultants - £95
RCPCH Member: Trainees and SAS doctors - £85
Non-RCPCH Members - £125
This online course meets the General Medical Council’s requirements for educational supervisors. It explores the fundamentals of educational supervision and provides essential updates on the RCPCH Progress Curriculum and RCPCH assessments.
This one-day course will be delivered online and will provide you with a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of educational supervision, focusing on:
- supporting doctors in difficulty
- managing the able trainee
- careers advice
- constructive feedback
- reflective supervision.
Prior to the online course, you will have access to an eLearning module that introduces the principles of educational supervision. This module is optional to complete and should take no more than 30 minutes.
Excellent course, very knowledgeable and experienced faculty.
The study day will develop your skills, knowledge and confidence as an effective educational supervisor and meets the GMC’s training requirements for supervisors.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the role and requirements of an educational supervisor and describe how this differs from clinical supervision
- Prepare and conduct an effective educational supervision session for trainees
- Identify examples of formative and summative assessment and outline the difference between these
- Explain the role of RCPCH ePortfolio and RCPCH Progress Curriculum in the assessment of training
- Assess trainees’ learning needs using the RCPCH assessment strategy
- Apply an appropriate framework to conduct effective career discussions with trainees
- Identify the trainee who is in difficulty and outline the support available to help trainees with poor performance
- Identify the trainee who is excelling and provide appropriate educational, pastoral and professional support
- Employ appropriate techniques for giving feedback constructively to trainees
- Recognise the importance of reflective practice for educational supervisors.
- Paediatric Trainees ST7 and ST8
- SAS doctors
- Consultant Paediatricians.
It is suitable for both current and aspiring educational supervisors, including those who require an update for revalidation.
Every doctor who is an educational supervisor should do this course, it provides the competency and confidence required to supervise and guide trainees appropriately.
To participate in this online course, you will need access to:
- Windows or Mac Computer (laptop/desktop or tablet)
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE). Minimum bandwidth is 600kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 Mbps (up/down)
- Microphone and speaker - either using the built-in microphone/speaker or a headset connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet
- Webcam - either using the built-in webcam or separate webcam connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet.