This course is now fully booked.
The RCPCH is pleased to offer this course at a reduced, introductory rate. Please note the fees may be subject to change.
RCPCH Member: Consultants - £95
RCPCH Member: Trainees and SAS doctors - £85
Non-RCPCH Members - £125
This one-day course will be delivered on Zoom and will provide you with a comprehensive and up-to-date overview of educational supervision, focusing on:
- supporting doctors in difficulty
- managing the able trainee
- careers advice
- constructive feedback
- reflective supervision.
Prior to the online course, you will have access to an eLearning module that introduces the principles of educational supervision. This module is optional to complete and should take no more than 30 minutes.
The study day will develop your skills, knowledge and confidence as an effective educational supervisor and meets the GMC’s training requirements for supervisors.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the role and requirements of an educational supervisor and describe how this differs from clinical supervision
- Prepare and conduct an effective educational supervision session for trainees
- Identify examples of formative and summative assessment and outline the difference between these
- Explain the role of RCPCH ePortfolio and RCPCH Progress Curriculum in the assessment of training
- Assess trainees’ learning needs using the RCPCH assessment strategy
- Apply an appropriate framework to conduct effective career discussions with trainees
- Identify the trainee who is in difficulty and outline the support available to help trainees with poor performance
- Identify the trainee who is excelling and provide appropriate educational, pastoral and professional support
- Employ appropriate techniques for giving feedback constructively to trainees
- Recognise the importance of reflective practice for educational supervisors.
- Paediatric Trainees ST7 and ST8
- SAS doctors
- Consultant Paediatricians.
It is suitable for both current and aspiring educational supervisors, including those who require an update for revalidation.
To participate in this online course, you will need access to:
- Windows or Mac Computer (laptop/desktop or tablet)
- A reliable internet connection
- Microphone and speaker - either using the built-in microphone/speaker or a headset connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet
- Webcam - either using a built-in webcam or a separate webcam connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet.
Please note you will be required to download Zoom in order to participate fully in this course.