Please note: This is a virtual course, facilitated through Zoom.
- Members - £450
- Non-members - £600
RCPCH is delighted to offer a 10% discount for this virtual course. The stated fees reflect the ongoing costs of this externally commissioned course.
We are pleased to be working with Bond Solon, the UK's leading legal training and information company specifically for non-lawyers, in delivering this highly interactive, practical course which has been specifically developed for paediatricians.
You will gain an understanding of how the different court systems work, the purpose of the expert witness role (compared to professional witnesses) and your responsibility as an independent educator of the court.
You will also learn more about the key skills required to present confident, clear testimony under cross-examination and how to express an independent opinion based on the foundation of fact.
In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to develop a structured approach to preparing expert reports with feedback given on one of your own reports that you will be required to submit in advance as part of this course.
The facilitating barrister, Francesca Burfield, was really impressive. She gave valuable advice to all members of the group who came from different backgrounds. She was very knowledgeable.
To equip paediatricians being called as expert witnesses with the skills to produce constructive independent reports and to effectively testify in court to ensure the best possible outcomes for the child.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of expert witnesses and how these differ from professional witnesses
- Produce independent expert reports that meets the specifications of the different court systems
- Testify in court as an expert witness with the skills and confidence required to provide the best possible outcomes for the child
I learnt a lot from the discussions generated by the programme. It was very good experience standing in a pretend witness box and being cross examined.
- Consultant paediatricians
- SAS doctors
- Target audience only
- Current experience of being an expert witness or (if looking to step up into this role) current experience of being a professional witness
- Windows or Mac Computer (laptop/desktop or tablet)
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE). Minimum bandwidth is 600kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 Mbps (up/down)
- Microphone and speaker - either using:
- the built-in microphone/speaker
- a headset connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet
- Webcam - either using:
- the built-in webcam
- separate webcam connected to your laptop/desktop or table
Francesca was amazing. So alive, interesting and knowledgeable