Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
The RCPCH is pleased to offer this course at a reduced rate. Please note the fees may be subject to change.
- RCPCH member - Trainee and SAS Doctor, Nurses, AHPs: £150
- RCPCH member - Consultant: £200
- Non-RCPCH member: £250
This in-person study day will enable you to recognise and manage life-threatening paediatric sepsis.
Paediatric sepsis is still the most common cause of avoidable death in children. NICE and current evidence recommends delivering a sepsis bundle of care in sixty minutes. Could you do this in practice?
This essential course will take you through the practical aspects of the recognition and management of sepsis, including the use of fluids, antibiotics and inotropes. Using real life examples we will discuss cases of sepsis in children with complex health conditions and immune-compromise. Your learning will be embedded by taking part in simulated sepsis scenarios.
This highly-regarded course will provide you with the confidence and practical skills to effectively manage sepsis and prescribe in acute scenarios.
The course is jointly led by Dr Emma Lim, The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the early signs of sepsis
- Appraise parents’ assessment of their children
- Explain which is the most appropriate antibiotic to choose
- Discuss current issues in fluid resuscitation
- Estimate which inotrope to use, when and how much
- Compare differences in children with complex health conditions
- Differentiate between orders of immunodeficiency
- Analyse appropriate management strategies in these cases
- Practise and assess your knowledge and skills through sepsis simulation scenarios
- Paediatric trainees
- SAS doctors
- Consultant paediatricians
- AHPs working in acute paediatrics
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, RILD Building, Barrack Road, Exeter, EX2 5DW