Mercure Glasgow City Hotel
201 Ingram St
This is a free course for health visitors, nurses, allied healthcare professionals, physiotherapists and general practitioners only. It is not designed for paediatricians.
Excellent delivery, highly motivating and definitely achieved what it set out to do.
Muscle wasting conditions affect around 1 in every 1,000 people in the UK. This one-day course will teach you a clear approach to effectively recognise a wide range of neuromuscular conditions such as Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and carry out assessments for 0-5 year olds.
Using a mix of workshops, case studies and interactive tools to highlight which red flags you need to look out for, and how to correctly assess and recognise floppy babies, abnormal gait and muscular weakness.
This study day will help you develop an approach for early recognition of a wide-range of neuromuscular disorders.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Use a clear, structured approach to assessing motor development in children aged 0-5 years
- Recognise abnormal motor development (i.e. floppy baby, “clumsy” child, abnormal gait)
- Report your findings in a structured way
- Recognise the range of neuromuscular disorders in children
- Explain why early detection is so important and discuss recent advances in treatment and care.
Health Visitors, Nurses, Allied Health Professionals, Physiotherapists and General Practitioners.