Please note: this course is focused purely on Scottish law.
This is a virtual course, facilitated through Zoom.
- Trainees - £252
- Members - £270
- Non-members - £360
The RCPCH is delighted to offer a 10% discount for this virtual course. The stated fees reflect the ongoing costs of this externally commissioned course.
We are pleased to be working with Bond Solon, the UK's leading legal training and information company specifically for non-lawyers, in delivering this highly interactive, practical course which has been specifically developed for paediatricians working in Scotland.
You will learn how to use your records and notes to gather evidence on which to base statements and reports including what kind of information is deemed admissible.
You'll also find out more about the formalities (and where relevant, rules) that govern statements and reports, and the structures of effective statements and reports including layout, style, terminology and use of imagery.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to develop an objective and critical eye for evidence by assessing statements and reports, and receiving feedback on your analysis to help improve your own skills.
My child protection reports will be more clearly structured, with a clear definition of fact and avoidance of unnecessary information.
To equip paediatricians involved in child protection cases with the skills to produce accurate reports that ensure the best possible outcomes for the child in child protection cases.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the issues and the factual information from your records and notes relevant for inclusion in professional statements and reports
- Describe the requirements for professional statements and reports in terms of specifications determined by the different court systems, and appropriate format and language
- Produce professional witness reports that can be used to settle child protection cases or as a basis for giving oral evidence
Really knowledgeable instructor with a wealth of experience and useful information to pass on. Very clear, detailed and appropriate for our learning. Excellent presenting style.
- Paediatric trainees ST6-8
- SAS doctors
- Consultant paediatricians
- Target audience only
- Windows or Mac Computer (laptop/desktop or tablet)
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE). Minimum bandwidth is 600kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 Mbps (up/down)
- Microphone and speaker - either using:the built-in microphone/speaker
- a headset connected to your laptop/desktop or tablet
- Webcam - either using:
- the built-in webcam
- a separate webcam connected to your laptop/desktop or table
It has given me a structure for report writing and how to give opinion.