Learning outcomes and key messages:
- Making the correct diagnosis is essential in managing children with infection – role of history and appropriate investigations
- Importance of evaluating severity of infection as well as red flags
- Awareness of recent evidence of management of severe infections – move to earlier IV to oral switch
- Importance of antimicrobial stewardship
- Need to ensure robust clinical governance in children being ambulated on IV antibiotics (OPAT)
- National clinical pathways are available to improve the management of children presenting with infections
- Safety netting / parent information resources available for children being treated with antibiotics
Benefit to delegates:
- Increased confidence in correctly diagnosing infections in children and managing appropriately.
- Offering a practical approach to antimicrobial stewardship.
- Offering a practical approach to ambulation of children on intravenous antibiotics (OPAT).
- General Paediatricians
- Paediatric trainees
- Community Paediatricians
It is also suitable for an international audience with the principles of infection management being applicable to non-UK settings.
Dr Sanjay Patel, Consultant in Paediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Southampton Children’s Hospital
Dr Sanjay Patel is a paediatric infectious diseases and immunology consultant working at Southampton Children’s Hospital, UK. His main areas of interest are antimicrobial stewardship and outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy (OPAT). He is the officer for women and children for the British Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC) and chairs the European Sociaety for paediatric infectious diseases (ESPID)/ ESCMID Study Group for Antimicrobial Stewardship (ESGAP) paediatric AMS network. He chairs the paediatric common infections working group that developed national clinical pathways for common infections in children and leads the Keep Antimicrobials Working programme which nationally supports undergraduate education on AMR. He is also leads the education workstream of UK-PAS and has recently been appointed to role of national clinical advisor for paediatric AMS at NHSE.
For more information:
Please contact the Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This webinar will be produced by the RCPCH and is supported by bioMerieux with an educational grant. bioMerieux have no editorial input.