Free of charge
In this webinar, Dr Laura Jones (Senior Lecturer in Applied Health Research, University of Birmingham) will highlight:
- the key evidence on smoking/ secondhand smoke exposure and vaping/ secondhand vapour exposure
- how supporting families to change their home smoking behaviours can improve child health outcomes and lead to parents/carers quitting
- how to deliver effective very brief advice to support parents/carers to reduce children’s exposure to secondhand smoke.
Dr Noel Baxter (GP in Southwark CCG and Chair of the PCRS-UK) is a panel member on this webinar.
By the end of this webinar, delegates will be able to:
- describe the health risks associated with exposure to secondhand smoke
- understand why it is important to raise the issue of secondhand smoke exposure with smoking parents/ carers
- effectively ask, advise and act on secondhand smoke exposure and smoke-free homes/ cars
- effectively encourage and support behaviour change in smoking parents/ carers
- understand how very brief advice on secondhand smoke and smoke-free homes aligns with their role as a healthcare professional.
This webinar is aimed at paediatricians at all levels including trainees, GPs and GP trainees and all child health professionals involved in health promotion.
Dr Laura Jones is Senior Lecturer in Applied Health Research, University of Birmingham. Laura is an experienced mixed-methods health researcher. She has significant expertise in tobacco control, and in her previous role as a Senior Research Fellow in the UK Centre for Tobacco and Alcohol Studies (UKCTAS) at the University of Nottingham, led the successful development of an effective programme of mixed-methods research aiming to reduce disadvantaged children’s exposure to secondhand smoke at home. Laura was a co-author of the Royal College of Physician’s Passive Smoking and Children report and she co-developed the National Centre for Smoking Cessation and Training (NCSCT) online very brief advice on secondhand smoke training for health and social professionals. Laura has multiple ongoing tobacco research projects including: parents’ experiences of using electronic cigarettes in the home and the potential for delivery of effective secondhand smoke interventions in primary and secondary care in the UK.
Dr Noel Baxter is GP Southwark CCG and Chair of the PCRS-UK. Noel is an NHS GP in Southwark, London. He is Clinical Director for Quality at NHS Southwark CCG, Chair of the Primary Care Respiratory Society (PCRS-UK) and leads the primary care workstream of the RCP national asthma and COPD audit and was a member of the recent NICE clinical guideline group for asthma management. Noel is a clinical advisor to the British Lung Foundation and Asthma UK. He was co-lead of the London respiratory strategic clinical network from 2010 until its end in September 2016 and the London Clinical Senate ‘Helping smokers quit’ delivery team programme that completed in August 2016.