Responsibilities of the Governance Board
The Governance Board is charged with the responsibility and authority to ensure that the BPSU is developed, managed and maintained in a manner that ensures it achieves its objective.
To discharge these responsibilities the Governance Board will:
- provide strategic direction to the BPSU by reviewing its priorities, progress, risks and future plans
- appoint the Chair of the BPSU Scientific Committee
- agree the terms of reference and membership of the Scientific Committee
- oversee the financial arrangements of the Unit
- reassure the host organisations annually that the activities of the BPSU comply with all relevant legal, regulatory, ethical requirements and associated conditions
- ensure that the activities and outputs of the BPSU are widely disseminated to professional, policy and public audiences.
Membership of the Governance Board is drawn from two senior representatives from each of the BPSU's parent organisations. Members of the Governance Board may not also be members of the BPSU Scientific Committee.
The current membership of the BPSU Governance Board is:
- Dr Helen Duncan, Programme Director, Child and Maternal Health Intelligence Network, Public Health England
- Dr Jamie Lopez Bernal, Head of Influenza and other respiratory viruses, Public Health England
- Professor Russell Viner, President of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Emily Arkell, Director of Research and Policy, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Professor Rosalind Smyth, Director of UCL GOS Institute of Child Health
- Dr Rachel Knowles, Clinical research fellow, UCL GOS Institute of Child Health