These resources are linked to the Paediatric Clinical Leads Development Programme. These comprise five 1-day modules that can be taken in any order, providing practical support, expertise and ideas for tackling the common and not-so-common challenges facing clinical leads.
Please let us know of anything that you feel would be useful to add, or if you have any queries or ideas on the theme - contact us on email@example.com
More resources are available on RCPCH Learning, our learning website.
Service standards and guidance
A wealth of resources, briefings and advice on current issues are available from the RCPCH Health policy team and many of them, and others, are listed below.
Our Facing the Future standards for paediatric care offer a vision of how paediatric care can be delivered to provide a safe and sustainable, high-quality service. They include:
- Acute paediatric care - supports design of inpatient care, and includes an implementation guide
- Together for child health - care outside the hospital - sets out standards for urgent care and how this may be better managed out of hospital
- Emergency care settings - including an audit tool - these are being incorporated in CQC inspections in England
- For ongoing health needs - for those awaiting diagnosis or under long term acute care
- Practice examples - to help you get inspiration
- Facing the Future Audit 2017 – providing data and statistics on the implementation of the first two sets of standards
- Covering all bases - community child health workforce - supporting discussion and design of fully resourced community paediatric care
Ensure you’re subscribed to our monthly Health Policy Bulletin for paediatric clinical leads - email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section provides details of relevant publications and briefings to support clinical leads in service planning and design.
- Workforce briefing - December 2018
- Workforce census 2017 overview
- Further workforce and service design resources
We launched a Quality Improvement Hub for sharing resources, tools, ideas and practical examples of improvement in practice. This is a new resource which is being developed over the next few months so feedback is always welcome.
Other tools and resources
Check out the Healthcare Leadership Model for core tools and a self assessment pack.
"Becoming a clinical lead" handbook
We are planning a series of short guides specifically for paediatric clinical leads.
Sections planned include examples of:
- Job description specifically for a paediatric clinical lead
- Service specification examples for general acute paediatrics
- A paediatric ’dashboard’ used to monitor how your service is doing
- A business case for development of an aspect of paediatric service
- A workable template and resources for team job planning
Top tips on:
- What is your role?
- Things I wish I knew
- Local induction - what every clinical lead should know
- Effective recruitment
- Communication dos and don’ts
- Influencing management
- Involving children and young people
- Specification and service design templates
- Managing difficult behaviours
- Succession planning
We will be providing further links and ideas for template documents, tools and publications based on requests from members. Please let us know if you have anything you'd like to see or would like to contribute.