Staff, associate specialist and specialty doctors - how we work with you

Find out how the College works with and supports Staff Grade, Associate Specialist and Specialty (SAS) doctors in training, continuing professional development, research and health policy.
Last modified
30 November 2021

RCPCH membership

We invite SAS doctors working in paediatrics to join the College. Your membership includes monitoring of your continuing professional development (CPD). Subscriptions are fully tax deductible; if you are a UK tax payer you can claim up to 40% of your subscription back from the Inland Revenue.

Find out your membership type and apply

Support on training and education

We provide the following to RCPCH members who are SAS doctors:

SAS Committee

The RCPCH Staff, Associate Specialist and Specialty Doctor Committee represents the specific needs of SAS doctors practicing in paediatrics, both College members and non-members, to improve recognition of their contribution to paediatrics and to identify opportunities for continuing professional development, support and progression.

The Committee includes elected members and regional representatives, as well as representation from British Association of Community Child Health (BACCH) and British Medical Association (BMA).  The Chair of the committee sits on College Council.

SAS charters

The BMA - jointly with key nation-specific organisations - has produced a SAS Charter. This sets out the support available to SAS doctors and what they can expect from their employers.

There are four charters, one for each of the four UK nations, and a supporting document that summaries resources and recommendations.

Access charters on the BMA website


Appraisal is not an RCPCH process, but a Trust-based one. Appraisals are done against national standards and for SAS doctors they should be worked out with the supervising Consultants.

RCPCH Regional Training Advisers can counsel SAS doctors on appraisal aspects.

Recognition for your work role

We cannot intervene in cases where you feel you are denied recognition for your work role. Instead, we recommend that such cases be taken up with a trade union, such as the British Medical Association.

For more information

Please contact the Committees team on