Our obesity page will update members, the health profession, parents and carers on the progress of the RCPCH objective to detect, treat, manage – and ultimately prevent – obesity.
- Nearly a third (31%) of children aged 2–15 are overweight or obese1
- The direct cost of obesity to the NHS is estimated to be £4.2bn a year2
- At Reception and Year 6, children in the poorest decile are almost twice as likely to be obese compared those in the most affluent decile3
Realising our obesity objective requires all levels of society and government recognising responsibility and taking collective action to achieve a cultural shift to reduce the number of our children and young people that are obese or overweight.
Our corporate aim is that ‘by 2015, 60% of Members responding to a poll should believe the campaign has been effective and be aware of and have access to the training materials available.’ (RCPCH College Plan 2012-15)
What are we doing?
The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges launched its report Measuring Up: The Medical Profession’s Prescription for the Nation’s Obesity Crisis on 25 February. It makes 10 recommendations starting with the medical profession, but addressed across society at reducing the impact of the obesogenic environment. The AoMRC is currently discussing how best to build a campaign to take forward the recommendations. The RCPCH has provided policy and communications support to the inquiry and report. Please contact the Health Policy Lead for more information.
Voicing our position
Publishing standards and guidelines
Consideration of issues around the use of BMI centile thresholds for defining underweight, overweight and obesity in children aged 2-18 years in the UK(PDF, 386KB, 15 pages) SACN, RCPCH, April 2012. This joint statement, published by the RCPCH and The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN), provides advice on the use of Body Mass Index (BMI) centile thresholds for defining underweight, overweight and obesity in children aged 2-18 years in the UK.
OSCA consensus statement on the assessment of obese children and adolescents for paediatricians (PDF, 264KB, 28 pages) Obesity Services for Children and Adolescents (OSCA) Network Group, 2009.
Storing up problems: the medical case for a slimmer nation RCPCH, RCP, FPH, 2004.
Tackling obesity through the Healthy Child Programme: A framework for action Mary Rudolf, 2009.
(PDF, 4 pages, 75KB) , 2013.
What can you do?
Read the RCPCH position statement on childhood obesity (PDF, 4 pages, 168KB)
Attend a training workshop on clinical management of obesity in children and young people
Evening of Evidence: Eating disorders and development in adolescents and younger children, 5 September, RCPCH, London
Evening of Evidence: Growth and Nutrition issues in clinical practice for the under fives, 29 October, RCPCH, London
1. Health and Social Care Information Centre (2009), Children’s overweight and obesity prevalence, by survey year, age-group and sex http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/publications/HSE/Health_Survey_for_England_1995_to_1997_Revised_Childrens%20Table%204.xls
2. Department of Health, Obesity: General Information http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publichealth/Obesity/DH_078098 accessed 29 September 2011
3. National Obesity Observatory (2011), Prevalence of obesity by deprivation decile: Children in Reception and Year 6 (National Child Measurement Programme 2009/10) http://www.noo.org.uk/uploads/doc/vid_11475_Slides_child.ppt
Associated Publications, Resources and Links
- Chairman's Welcome
Dear Colleagues, Welcome. As chair of the Academic Board, I have the privilege and ...
- Stakeholder organisations
The following organisations have registered as project stakeholders or are partners in the National Epilepsy Audit: ...
- British National Formulary for Children (BNFC)
The British National Formulary for Children (BNFC) presents essential practical information to help ...
- RCPCH International
'Working with partners in the UK and overseas to advance global child health' News ...
- Four Children's Commissioners unite to protect children's rights
March 2011: RCPCH Policy Event: 'Four Children's Commissioners unite to protect children's rights' All ...
- Frequently asked questions
Here are some frequently asked questions on each of our examinations. Please refer to them for up-to-date information ...