The draft guidance is an update of 2009 guidance produced by the Welsh Government. Information on the consultation is available online, which provides the final best practice guidance for food and nutrition for childcare settings published following this consultation.
- We welcome evidence-based guidelines that address the well-recognised problems of childhood obesity and tooth decay.
- We welcome the attention given to children who need to follow particular diets for medical reasons (for example, allergies, diabetes, coeliac disease).
- We support the focus on prevention within A Healthier Wales and the development of an obesity strategy for Wales.
- The guidelines and their implementation should be aligned with the obesity strategy and efforts to improve children’s dental health in Wales.
- The communications strategy for the guidance should be robust to reach intended audiences.
- Welsh Government should provide clarity on:
- which childcare settings the guidelines apply to
- how it will monitor uptake and compliance with the guidelines
- how it will respond if providers choose not to adhere to the best practice set out
- how it will evaluate the success of food and nutrition guidelines in childcare settings.
We respond to a wide range of consultations to ensure that the College’s position, and ultimately children’s health, is represented. Members can get involved in current consultations by contacting the Health Policy team: firstname.lastname@example.org.