As RCPCH, we play a unique and vital role in championing the safeguarding agenda for children and young people. As of 1 June 2020, we have a new portal to deliver trusted content for those involved in child protection.
This replaces Paediatric Care Online (PCO UK), which was launched in 2016 as a decision-support tool with funding from the Department of Health, in partnership with Royal College of General Practitioners, Royal Pharmaceutical Society, Royal College of Nursing, Institute of Health Visiting and American Academy of Pediatrics. Since then, many decision-support tools have become available, and our users told us they need more focused content on child protection and safeguarding. We are therefore making some changes, driven by a need for longer term sustainability, which the College has prioritised and reinvested in to achieve this going forward.
About the Portal
The Portal provides a range of child protection and safeguarding resources, along with news and links to courses to support health professionals and different audiences with a special interest in child protection. The site offers further evidence-based resource for clinicians in the UK and internationally to help inform clinical practice, child protection procedures and professional and expert opinion in the legal system.
The site includes the recently migrated Child Protection Companion and the Child Protection Evidence systematic reviews, as well as other complementary resources and information on child protection processes across the whole range of medical and social interactions, including research, guidance, publications and standards that are applicable to all four UK devolved nations and internationally.
Frequently asked questions
These FAQs explain the transition from PCO UK to to the new Child Protection Portal from PCO UK. Our key messages:
- All chapters of the Child Protection Companion (CPC) will continue to be available for download to your computer or device as a PDF.
- The PCO UK mobile app will be suspended, but the new portal is mobile responsive to allow easy access from smartphones and tablets.
- Some content will no longer be accessible on PCO UK, but can be accessed from other website:
- The Key Practice Points (KPPs) will be available on the new microsite until the end of 2020. Please be aware that the KPP content will no longer be curated and updated, and as such we suggest you cross-check it with other national guidelines and standards.
You can download the complete FAQs below.
How to access
Most RCPCH members will have access to the Child Protection Portal as part of their annual membership subscription.
RCPCH student members and Honorary Fellows are not eligible for access as part of their membership. However, there are some ways in which you will be able to access the resources – individual or institutional access.
Others, UK and international individuals
If you are a healthcare professional, social worker, legal professional who works in child health or a medical student and wish to access the Child Protection Portal, you may apply for associate or affiliate RCPCH membership.
Your subscription starts on the date you subscribe and lasts for 12 months, with an option to renew each year as part of your RCPCH membership.
Access is for one person only, and is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Team or whole organisations
We will be happy to discuss options for your organisation.
- Bulk individual licences: users would be able to log in from a variety of desktops, regardless of where they were located
- Access via referring URL: this is commonly used for those institutions who would like to place the online link to the portal on their intranet
- Access via IP range: this enables access on any device that is using a specific IP range (or set of IP ranges)
To find out more about subscribing for a team or organisation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Child Protection Portal, please contact email@example.com.