Who is on the committee?
There are 18 core roles on the committee:
- 6 young people
- 6 parent/carers
- 6 paediatricians including the Registrar
We also have visitors at every meeting, including children, young people, parents/carers, paediatricians or other interested stakeholders. The committee is supported by the Children and Young People's Engagement Team at the College, and chaired by the Registrar.
What are the priorities of the committee?
The 2016-19 work plan was focused on:
- Improve understanding and awareness of engagement and voice
- Support RCPCH members to enable children and young people to be able to share their individual voice, views, comments and ideas
- Support involvement of children and young people in RCPCH's decision making
The committee did a huge amount of work over the first work plan, producing a number of new resources, increasing the reach of RCPCH &Us at the Annual Conference and supporting many RCPCH work programmes with their voice and insight. During 2020, they have been working on the priorities for the next work plan for 2021-23 which are:
- Supporting services to involve children and young people in assessing and shaping services
- Develop an engagement ambassador programme
- Informing and shaping internal an external programmes of work through expert advice and guidance on engagement
When does it meet?
The committee meets six times a year on a Saturday, with the meeting being delivered through a workshop format.
When we meet in person, this includes a community share lunch, where we order a range of food that people then can make their own sandwiches, talking and working together to create lunch for everyone, breaking down barriers and supporting people to get to know each other through a shared, community activity. When sessions are delivered virtually, it's bring your own lunch!
I feel far more empowered, valued through new way of engaging with governance at the RCPCH. I feel that it is far more impactful and we get more achieved. It's all about what gets done rather than what we just talk about! Results! Not just hot air!