As you may be aware at the RCPCH we have continued to develop the current paediatric training in order to align and reflect the new Shape of Paediatric Training principles and address the workforce shortages that exist.
As part of our consultation we would like your feedback on the proposed changes to the current curriculum and overall programme structure, and would particularly like to hear your thoughts on how you perceive these proposed changes could impact (in relation to):
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation.
We also welcome valuable feedback on other aspects such as Less than Full Time (LTFT) working.
The key changes being proposed within the revised training programme are as follows:
- The current Progress curriculum has been reviewed in line with the Shape of Paediatric Training principles and will be branded as Progress+, subject to GMC approval
- The structure will change from a three-level ST1-ST8 programme, to a two-level ST1-ST4 (core) and ST5-ST7 (specialty) programme
- The positioning of the exams will move so that only the theory exams need to be completed by the end of ST3, before taking on tier 2 rota responsibilities. The clinical exam will need to be completed by the end of ST4
- Less prescriptive approach to placement requirements, allowing some flexibility to reflect local needs and trainees’ career intentions
- Incorporation of Out of Programme (OOP) time, (where requested and feasible), to allow for increased experience before selecting a sub-specialty training and time out of the programme midway through training in order to make paediatrics a more attractive option for foundation trainees concerned about being constrained by the training programme for seven years
- Better facilitation of trainees moving to a different sub-specialty training pathway within paediatrics after making their initial selection, in response to changing demands (workforce needs, career intention, lifestyle requirements)
- The new programme will be underpinned by 11 new training principles to articulate the standard that all programmes should be meeting, promote enhanced flexibility and encourage a greater focus on integrated care and efficient multi-disciplinary working.
A fact sheet is included in the Downloads section for more information. You can also keep up to date with the Shape of Paediatric Training by visiting our webpage at any time.
We would highly appreciate if you could complete this survey by 14 October 2020 and select the responses which best reflects your view.
Your feedback will help us to ensure that the changes proposed are appropriate and fit-for-purpose within the paediatric workforce. This will also assist us with planning and preparing a virtual stakeholder engagement event, where we will aim to address your views and answer any questions that have been raised.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.