Our CPD scheme provides a framework to assess your educational needs and to identify and plan appropriate learning activities on a continuous basis within the context of your Professional Development Plan.
The scheme is consistent with Academy of Medical Royal Colleges CPD guidance. It helps you ensure you are meeting GMC requirements for revalidation and CPD.
As a scheme participant, you have access to the RCPCH online CPD Diary and web app. These provide a user-friendly and intuitive way to maintain an up-to-date record of your CPD activities.
Participation in the RCPCH CPD scheme via the online CPD Diary is free to Associate, Ordinary and Senior members and fellows of the College.
Major elements of the scheme
- A reduced focus on CPD credits - they are no longer a requirement, and set limits on CPD credits for key activities have been removed
- Large emphasis on flexibility, balance and self-accreditation – any activity that you learn from can be recorded as CPD
- Expectation that doctors should reflect on their learning, in line with GMC requirements
- Simple CPD categories of non clinical and clinical (subdivided into internal, external and personal CPD)
The elements underpin RCPCH recognition of the value of learning from a range of different activities, whether formal courses or ad hoc activities of relevance to practice.
Much learning occurs outside formal courses and conferences. Doctors should be able to self-accredit this learning.
In addition, while acquisition of CPD credits provides a useful steer for many doctors, the important focus needs to be on what has been learnt and its effect on practice. Thus, collection of CPD credits is no longer required, but recommendations are made for those who prefer to continue recording them.
Access the full scheme guidelines and an At a Glance document below.
Who should join the scheme
All non-training grade paediatricians should consider participation in a CPD scheme. We strongly recommend you register with the RCPCH scheme.
Individuals may, however, choose to participate in the scheme of another Royal College or Faculty if they feel that this is more appropriate to their professional requirements. So that we can keep our records up-to-date, please inform us at email@example.com where this is the case.
Members and fellows may wish to note that confirmation that they are participating in revalidation and CPD to the level required by the GMC is one of the criteria for being in Good Standing with the College.
How to join the scheme - as an RCPCH member
Register via the online CPD Diary.
Once your registration has been processed, we will activate your account and email you login details.
If you are already participating in the CPD scheme but have never used your diary online before, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org with your GMC number and the email address to which you would like your password sent.
How to join the scheme - as a non-member of RCPCH
Register via the online CPD Diary (please ensure you select RCPCH Non Member).
Once your registration has been processed, you will be sent an email and prompted to pay the scheme fee online with a credit or debit card.
An annual fee of £205 applies to doctors who are not members of the College wishing to participate. The annual fee also applies retrospectively if you wish to record CPD activities for previous years.
- Log in to the RCPCH website with your RCPCH number and RCPCH website password, then go to the CPD Diary via Quick Links at the top right of the screen where you will automatically be logged in. (This uses single sign on route.)
- Or, go to the CPD Diary and sign in with your GMC number and CPD Diary password. (This is for those who aren't registered for the RCPCH website.)
Online CPD Diary desktop and web app user guides
Online CPD Diary user guides for both desktop and web app users are available in the Related Content section.