About Stepping Up
Trainees are supported throughout the training programme to develop skills for transitioning to a consultant role. But, the reality of working as a consultant is vastly different to working as a supported senior trainee. There are pressures on services and reduced SPA (supporting professional activity) time and study leave funding. Our CCT and CESR cohort studies highlighted a a demand for support in this transition phase to new consultant.
As a regional network for senior trainees (post-RCPCH START ST7s and up) and new consultants (up to three years into consultancy), Stepping Up can help prepare senior trainees for this transition. It can also support new consultants working in an increasingly challenging working environment, improving morale and encouraging entrants to paediatrics longer term.
Following a successful pilot in 2017-19, we expanded the Stepping Up network across the UK.
What does a Stepping Up Champion do?
- Engages with all ST7 and 8 paediatric trainees and new consultants who are up to three years post CCT/CESR/CESR in their region via email/ebulletin
- Facilitates (set up, publicise and support) two to three network meetings per year for this group, focusing on meeting topics suggested by this group of doctors
- Ensures the needs of both clinical and academic paediatricians are catered for in meetings
- Sources external speakers for meetings as required
- Liaises with local Head of School, Training Programme Directors and Regional Leads to ensure promotion of and support for network meetings
- Liaises with RCPCH Mentoring Champions to encourage development of local mentoring pairs and facilitate informal buddying
- Keeps the national Stepping Up steering group and RCPCH staff informed of progress
- Helps evaluate the meetings in their region in liaison with the RCPCH team
- Ensures the sustainabilty of the network
If you're a current Champion, log in and access resources.
Champions by region
We've listed below the Stepping Up Champions by region, with their contact emails.
|East of England||Dr Peter Bale and Dr Lynn Sinitskyemail@example.com|
|East Midlands||Dr Matt Hurleyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kent, Surrey and Sussex||Dr Julia Fozardemail@example.com|
|London||Dr Emma Parish and Dr Claire Headfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mersey||Dr Sally Ogdenemail@example.com|
|North East England||Dr Albert Limfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|North West England||Dr Merijam Kikicemail@example.com|
|South West England||Dr Amiel Billetop and Dr Milly Senfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Thames Valley||Dr Jean Yongemail@example.com|
|Wales||Dr Ankita Jainfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wessex||Dr Heather Deall and Dr Clare Hollingsworthemail@example.com|
|West Midlands||Dr Amy Walkerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Yorkshire and Humber||Dr Sobia Bilalemail@example.com|
Each region has access to a total budget for the academic year of £450. This can be used for speaker honoraria/thank you gifts or provision of refreshments if no speaker is required.
Travel and subsistence costs for trainees/new consultants cannot be covered by this budget. Room hire should be negotiated free of charge by using local Trust or HEE/Deanery rooms.
Each delegate attending Stepping Up events will be asked to complete an evaluation form collated centrally via an online survey tool.
Professional development resources
Disclaimer: Inclusion of non-RCPCH courses, online learning and other educational resources on this webpage do not imply RCPCH endorsement or CPD approval. Learners should ensure the resources they subscribe to meet their educational needs.
Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management - Clinical fellow schemes
- See upcoming RCPCH courses for:
- Clinical leadership
- Effective educational supervision
- Mentoring skills
- New consultants development programme 2 day course various dates - Royal College of Physicians. Open to non-physicians; discounts available for block bookings
- Preparing for your first consultant role 1 day course various dates - MDU
- HEE Leadership Academy - various national programmes
- NHS Education for Scotland - various national programmes
Online learning and webinars
- Leadership for Clinicians - e-Learning for Healthcare
- BMJ Careers Advice - BMJ Learning
- Quality Improvement - RCPCH Learning
- Enhancing our wellbeing and resilience - RCPCH Learning