As highlighted in our CCT and CESR cohort studies, there is demand for more support in the difficult transition phase from senior trainee to new consultant.
Trainees are supported throughout the training programme to develop skills to work independently as consultants. However, the reality of working as a senior trainee is challenging - particularly given pressures on service for both trainees and trained paediatricians and reduction in SPA (supporting professional activity) time and study leave funding for consultants.
Working independently as a consultant is also vastly different to working as a supported ST8 trainee.
A regional network for senior trainees (post-RCPCHStart ST7s and up) and new consultants (up to three years into consultancy) can help prepare senior trainees for the transition. It can also support new consultants working in an increasingly challenging working environment, improving morale and encouraging entrants to paediatrics longer term.
Following a successful pilot, from September 2017 to August 2019, we are expanding the Stepping Up network across the UK from September 2019.
Regions and champions
Each regional Champion sets up and coordinates Stepping Up meetings and activities in the region.
- East of England – Dr Peter Bale and Dr Lynn Sinitsky (role-share) email@example.com
- East Midlands - Dr Matt Hurley firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kent, Surrey and Sussex - Dr Julia Fozard email@example.com
- London - Dr Emma Parish and Dr Claire Head (role-share) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mersey - Dr Helen Dallow email@example.com
- North East England - Dr Stefan Zalewski (email pending)
- North West England - Dr Merijam Kikic firstname.lastname@example.org
- South West England - Dr Amiel Billetop and Dr Milly Sen email@example.com
- Scotland - Dr Lindsay Ford and Dr Oyenike Osifodunrin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wales - Dr Ruth Hanks email@example.com
- Wessex – Dr Susie Deamer and Dr Clare Hollingsworth (role share) firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Midlands - Dr Amy Walker email@example.com
- Yorkshire Humber - Dr Sobia Bilal firstname.lastname@example.org
Further resources for Champions are available on a separate resource page.
Recruiting for new Champions
Ware seeking Stepping Up champions for vacant regions/countries which do not currently have a Champion or are seeking a co-Champion for those with existing Champions, to share the role. See current vacancies and apply.
All meetings planned are currently liable to last-minute postponement or cancellation, so please contact your Champion for further details.
- East of England – The last meeting was 12 February 2020 at Luton and Dunstable Hospital. To sign up to future events please contact email@example.com
- East Midlands - The next meeting on 3 April 2020 at Rainbows Hospice, Loughborough was cancelled. For queries, contact Matthew on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kent, Surrey and Sussex - The next meetings on 27 March 2020 was cancelled. Future dates are pending. To be added to the mailing list, please contact Julia on email@example.com.
- London - The next meeting is planned for 9 June 2020. This meeting will be held virtually. For more information and to register your interest for the event, contact Claire and Emma on firstname.lastname@example.org
- North East England - The next meeting is planned for 25 February 2021. This meeting will be held virtually. For more information and to register your interest for the event, contact Stefan on email@example.com
- North West England - The next meeting will be scheduled early 2021. For queries, contact Merijam on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scotland - The next meeting on 21 May 2020 at RCPCH Scotland in Edinburgh was cancelled. To register your interest for the event, please contact Lindsay on email@example.com
- South West England. The last meeting was 7 January 2020. For details about the next meeting, email Milly and Amiel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wales - The last meeting was on 7 June 2019 at Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend. For details about the next meeting, contact Ruth on email@example.com.
- Wessex – The next meeting on 23 April 2020 was cancelled. To be added to the mailing list for future dates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yorkshire and Humber - The last meeting was on 24 September 2019 (in Leeds). To sign up to the mailing list contact Sobia on email@example.com
About the Stepping Up champion role
- Engages with all ST7 and 8 paediatric trainees and new consultants who are up to three years post CCT/CESR/CESR in their region via email/ebulletin
- Facilitates (set up, publicise and support) two to three network meetings per year for this group, focusing on meeting topics suggested by this group of doctors
- Ensures the needs of both clinical and academic paediatricians are catered for in meetings
- Sources external speakers for meetings as required
- Liaises with local Head of School, Training Programme Directors and Regional Leads to ensure promotion of and support for network meetings
- Liaises with RCPCH Mentoring Champions to encourage development of local mentoring pairs and facilitate informal buddying
- Keeps the national Stepping Up steering group and RCPCH staff informed of progress
- Helps evaluate the meetings in their region in liaison with the RCPCH team
- Ensures sustainabilty of the network
Regional network meeting structure
The regional champion and those in their regional network decide what happens during a meeting. Meetings could be set up to have a keynote speaker, followed by Q&A and group discussions, or they could be set up to allow time for informal buddying or formal mentoring discussions to take place.
To make it easier to manage, meetings can be tied into ones already set up by Heads of School for level three trainees.
Each region has access to a total budget for the academic year of £450. This can be used for speaker honoraria/thank you gifts or provision of refreshments if no speaker is required.
Travel and subsistence costs for trainees/new consultants cannot be covered by this budget. Room hire should be negotiated free of charge by using local Trust or HEE/Deanery rooms.
Each delegate attending Stepping Up events will be asked to complete an evaluation form collated centrally via an online survey tool.
Professional development resources
Disclaimer: Inclusion of non-RCPCH courses, elearning and other educational resources on this webpage do not imply RCPCH endorsement or CPD approval. Learners should ensure the resources they subscribe to meet their educational needs.
Professional development fellowship
Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management - National Medical Director clinical fellow scheme - The FMLM fellowship application window is now live and seeking applications. It closes 13th January 2020 for fellows to start in September 2020.
- Clinical Leadership - various dates and locations for those about to become/who are already Clinical Leads - RCPCH courses
- Effective Educational Supervision various dates and locations - RCPCH courses
- Mentoring Skills various dates and locations - RCPCH courses
- New consultants development programme 2 day course various dates - Royal College of Physicians. Open to non-physicians; discounts available for block bookings
- Preparing for your first consultant role 1 day course various dates - MDU
- HEE Leadership Academy - various national programmes
- NHS Education for Scotland - various national programmes
eLearning and webinars
- Leadership for clinicians - e-Learning for Healthcare
- Managing your transition from specialty trainee to consultant - BMJ Learning
- Quality Improvement - RCPCH via Compass
- Enhancing our wellbeing and resilience - RCPCH via Compass