This guide provides information to ensure the safe, meaningful and ethical participation of children and young people within the delivery of quality child health services. It practically demonstrates how we can contribute towards creating a culture of participation.
This guide is designed primarily for paediatricians, senior children’s nurses and leaders of organisations who provide general and specialised health services for children and young people.
It was developed and published by the Young People’s Health Special Interest Group.
Participation - not just a phase
There are six sections which support the reader to understand the journey of participation and how to make it meaningful for all involved. The sections are:
- why paediatricians and service leads need to know about children and young people’s participation
- the theory and evidence basis for participation
- key principles of participation
- essential elements of a participation strategy and project
- how to create a culture of participation
- examples of participation in practice
'Not Just a Phase' is not a prescriptive resource detailing the problem, diagnosis, treatment and follow up. Rather, it is a guide to help spark thoughts, questions and to support with discussions in local practice.