Who we are
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) is a registered charity in England and Wales (1057744) and in Scotland (SC038299). The College is a membership organisation that provides postgraduate medical education, sets professional standards and undertakes research and policy work in the area of paediatric and child health.
This privacy notice covers the data processed on the RCPCH website only (rcpch.ac.uk) which includes your RCPCH online account. It does not cover RCPCH &Us work. To find out more about how RCPCH &Us manages your personal data, please read the RCPCH &Us privacy notice.
What information do we collect about you?
We receive and store any information you enter onto the website.
This includes the following:
- Information provided voluntarily by you, such as when you register for an online RCPCH account, update your personal or work details, or complete a webform, such as nominations with your uploaded CV, order form, room booking enquiry form and feedback.
- When signing up to an online account, we ask you to select your contact preferences for marketing. Where you have consented, we will use your details to send you communications that are relevant to you. You can change all contact preferences at any time through your online account. This does not cover RCPCH &Us communications - to manage your RCPCH &Us preferences, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information that you provide when you communicate with us by any means
- Within our bye-laws, we have a requirement to maintain certain committees. Minutes and papers relating to some of these Committees are also stored in a restricted access area of the website and may contain some personal data about staff, members and officers as our legal record of these meetings.
- We may use profiling techniques and publicly available data, which includes public databases (such as Companies House), news and other media to identify and contact members of the public who may have the means to help, attract, provide or support RCPCH's work, including fundraising, promotional and campaigning activities.We will only do this where we have carefully considered our legitimate interest and balanced it against the individual's privacy, using work and professional contact details where possible.
How will we use the information we collect about you?
We use the information that we collect from you where it is in our legitimate interest to make improvements to the website and to our services, to respond to your enquiry, to administer or with a view to enter into a contract to administer the activity or service for which you have provided the information and where you have consented to us communicating with you. We will only keep your information for as long as it is necessary for these purposes, in line with the College Retention Policy.
If you provide feedback on our website we will only use it to develop and improve the site. We do not store feedback but anonymous analysis of feedback may be kept indefinitely.
If your online account is inactive for more than two years and you have never been a member, we will delete your account.
If you are a member, please see the Membership Privacy notice for further details on how we manage your data and how long we keep your data for.
Information we share
In accordance with UK Data Protection legislation, we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. We may sometimes need to share your information with RCPCH third party suppliers who are acting on our behalf as data processors to provide certain products and services for the College. However, we will only use your information for the purpose as described and we do not pass on your details to any other government department or other third parties unless you have given us permission to do so or we have a legal requirement to do so - for example, because you have opted in to receive third party communications via your mailing preferences on your RCPCH online account.
You can change your mailing preferences at any time by logging in to your online account.
Accessing and updating your personal information
It is your responsibility to update us of any changes to the personal information you have provided. If you have an RCPCH online account, you can update your details via this. Alternatively, use our contact form or contact the relevant team directly.
To submit a request contact the Data Protection Officer (contact details are under the Further Information section below) or visit the ICO website for more details about your rights.
You have the following rights in relation to your data:
- Right of access and right to have a copy of your personal data in a standard format (data portability). You can ask us for a copy of the information that we hold about you and you can ask us for a copy of your data in a standard format where this is technically possible. This only applies where we are holding your information with consent or as part of a contract with you.
- Change any factual errors or inaccuracies. If you have an RCPCH online account you can change and update your personal data. You can also contact us either via the website enquiry form or by contacting the relevant department directly.
- delete your personal data (called a right to be forgotten). We cannot delete all personal data as we may have a legal obligation or because we have a requirement to retain it for a task in the public interest, but we can delete non-essential data.
- Restrict the use of your data. You can request that we deactivate your RCPCH online account or that we only store your data but undertake no further processing. However, this only applies to certain circumstances.
- Object to processing. You can ask that we stop using data that is not necessary for fulfilling our legal obligations.
- Where you have consented to us using your personal data, you can withdraw consent at any time.
Our website contains links to other websites such as the RCPCH online shop, RCPCH ePortfolio, CPD Diary, PCO Online, Compass (for exams), iParl (for campaigns), social media and the events booking system.
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss and alteration of information under our control. We will always manage your data in safely and securely in accordance with UK Data Protection legislation. Your data on the website will only ever be stored within the EU but it may be viewed internationally. If we upload your personal data to the website, we will only do so with your consent or where it is necessary as part of a contract or with a view to entering into a contract with you.
Please check these terms on a regular basis to make sure you are aware of any changes made by the RCPCH. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted indicates that you agree to these terms as updated and/or amended.
Further information and how to contact us
You do also have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO if you have concerns about the way your personal data is being handled: email@example.com.
RCPCH handles personal and special category information in accordance with the College’s Data Protection Policy.