The course is run through the UK and cost varies across centres. See more information.
The RCPCH has endorsed this blended learning product from 31 October 2020 to 30 October 2022, in accordance with the current RCPCH endorsement guidelines.
The three-day APLS course comprises a flexible one-day online component (VLE) and a two-day face-to-face course.
Candidates who have taken the course include consultants, advanced nurse practitioners and resuscitation training officers from Accident & Emergency, Anaesthetic and Paediatric departments.
1-day online modular education through our VLE
- Structured approach
- Human factors
- Recognition of seriously ill child
- Child with breathing difficulties
- Child in shock
- Abnormal pulse rate or rhythm
- Decreased conscious level
- Convulsing child
- Seriously injured child
- Chest injury
- Abdominal injury
- Head injury
- Injury to the spine
- Burns and scalds
- Cardiac arrest
- Stabilisation and transfer
2-day face-to-face course with lectures, skills, simulations, demonstrations
- Welcome, aims & setting the scene
Demonstrations & interactive sessions
- Assessing & managing the serious ill child
- Structured approach to the seriously injured child
- Cardiac simulation & skills
Skill & simulation sessions
- Serious illness simulation & skills
- Serious injury simulation & skills
- Cardiac simulation and skills including review and continual assessment