The 2022-23 application period is now open until Monday, 17 October 2022. Find out more, watch our short video and download the application materials.
Purpose of the award
- Encourages paediatricians who are not research active to undertake a study of a rare disease or condition which affects children and which addresses a question of clinical or public health importance.
- Enables paediatricians to further develop their research knowledge and skills.
- Adds to the body of knowledge of rare childhood diseases and conditions.
- Promotes the role of the BPSU in the surveillance of rare diseases affecting children.
- Supports the RCPCH's objective of building and strengthening research in paediatrics.
The Sir Peter Tizard bursary was my first exposure to epidemiology and surveillance. The experience I gained has been instrumental in developing my career in leading the surveillance of preventable infections at Public Health England.
- be members of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health or Collegiate Members of the Faculty of Paediatrics or the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- be a Paediatrician working (at least part of their time) in the UK National Health Service or Irish public health care system who are:
- specialty trainee (any grade)
- academic trainee, or
- new consultant (within three years of appointment to a consultant post).
The candidate must not have previously led a BPSU study.
The study team must not have previously submitted an application on the same topic for consideration by the BPSU scientific committee.
Any one candidate can only submit one application per year
Joint applications (ie where two applicants work together on a BPSU study under supervision and share the award) are acceptable.
The 2022-23 application period is now open. More information is downloadable below. To submit your application please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to win a Tizard bursary
Dr Simon Lenton presents this short video on how applicants can put forward an application to win this bursary. Please note the eligibility criteria has changed since 2021. To see the latest criteria please refer to documents in the download box or the descriptions above. Additional documents on the scoring process and and the scoring sheet used is also below.