This page gives information on the application process, including the application timeline, eligibility criteria and post numbers; you can download the person specifications, full application guidance and new Certificate to demonstrate Completion of Level 1 Paediatric Training Capabilities for 2020.
National Round 2 Re-advert - dates
Applications are closed for national round 2, but we are now running a re-advert for ST4 applicants.
Shortlisting will be based on a self-assessment as part of the application process, and successful applicants will be invited to have a virtual interview. Trainees will commence their posts in February or March 2021, depending on the deanery.
These are the key dates:
|What||Date (all in 2020)|
|Advert appears||Wednesday 15 July|
|Applications open (10:00 UK local time)||Tuesday 28 July|
|Applications close (16:00)||Thursday 13 August|
|Longlisting completed by||Friday 28 August|
|SharePoint QA||Tuesday 1 September|
|Applicants document upload opens||Wednesday 2 September|
|Applicants document upload closes||Wednesday 9 September|
|Assessor folder is created||Thursday 10 September|
|Portfolio self assessment verification opens||Friday 11 September|
|Portfolio self assessment verification closes||Tuesday 15 September|
|Portfolio verification scores are released||Wednesday 16 September|
|Portfolio appeal window closes||Friday 18 September|
|Action appeals||Monday 21 September|
|Invite to interview, applicant declaration||Tuesday 22 September|
|Deadline for interview booking and applicant declaration return (16:00)||Thursday 24 September|
|Interviews||Tuesday 29, Wednesday 30 September and Thursday 1 October|
|Interviews back up day||Friday 2 October|
|Offers are released||Tuesday 6 October|
|Hold deadline (13:00)||Wednesday 21 October|
|Upgrade deadline (16:00)||Friday 23 October|
Note: All times referred to in this timeline are UK times.
You can download further guidance on the new process for this year's recruitment. The HEE website has general information on the impact of COVID-19 on national recruitment.
Applicants in the following categories may be considered for appointment in National Round 2 Re-advert:
- UK or European Economic Area (EEA) national
- Non-UK or non-EEA national where immigration status allows work without restriction in the UK, for example those holding dependant status with no restriction against working as a doctor or dentist in training
- Already on Tier 2, applying to continue training with the same sponsor and/or the same training number
- Applying for a specialty in a shortage occupation
- Non-UK or non-EEA national who currently has Tier 4 status to complete a Masters or PhD - applicants must have completed their Masters or completed 1 year of their PhD to be exempt from the RLMT (resident labour market test)
- Already on Tier 2 and applying for a different specialty and changing sponsor - applicants in this category will require Tier 2 sponsorship and will be subject to the RLMT
- Non-UK or non-EEA national who has limited leave to remain in the UK, who does not fall into one of the above categories - applicants in this category will require Tier 2 sponsorship and will be subject to the RLMT
- Non-UK or non-EEA national who does not currently hold a UK visa status - applicants in this category will require Tier 2 sponsorship and will be subject to the RLMT
All training programmes are equally open to those who may, either from the outset or subsequently, wish to train flexibly.
Person specifications and application guidance
Applicants make their application on the Oriel application system.
Applicants need to demonstrate paediatric Level 1 training equivalency, be registered with and licensed by the General Medical Council (GMC) by the intended start date of the post they were applying for and complete the form, Certificate of Level 1 Training Paediatrics 2020, which can be downloaded below.
Please not that all applicants need to complete a self-assessment as part of the application process, which will require the uploading of evidence, which will be verified prior to intrview. Applicants should read the Self-assessment Framework carefully before starting their application.
Full guidance on the process for the Round 2 Re-advert recruitment round for ST4 posts can be found below.
For reference, you can download the 2020 person specifications and application guidance below.
Post numbers are indicative, and are therefore subject to change until the point at which initial offers are made. Please see below the final posts numbers for the 2020 Round 2 Re-advert:
|East of England||1|
|Yorkshire & the Humber||4|
|Kent, Surrey & Sussex||3|
For any queries about the process, please contact the Paediatric National Recruitment Office at PaedsNRO@hee.nhs.uk.