This Charter outlines what trainees expect from every training unit in the UK, across key domains. We hope that training units will strive to achieve these aims and that the Charter will be a hallmark of high quality local training. References from the GMC and Gold Guide have been given.
1. Educational supervision
- Trainees expect to have a trained Educational Supervisor, who has adequate time in their job plan to provide such supervision.(R2.15) (S4.1, S4.2, R4.2)1
- Trainees expect to get meaningful feedback on their performance, delivered in an appropriate manner.(R1.8, R3.13)
- Trainees expect to have access to free, high quality and personalised career guidance, either locally or by signposting them to resources at a regional level. (2.48ix)2
- Trainees expect to be released to attend relevant local and regional teaching, leaving staffing at weekend levels to cover the clinical work where necessary. Attendance at teaching must be audited and an effective plan for resolution or mitigation must be in place if poor attendance is common or recurring.(R1.16)
- Trainees expect high quality, relevant and varied teaching locally and that this should be bleep-free for all trainees (except in the case of emergencies). (R1.16)
- Trainees expect to be provided with their rota at least six weeks before they start their job and that the rota is always provided six weeks into the future.34
- Trainees expect to be facilitated in taking annual leave and study leave provided six weeks’ notice has been given and adequate cover is available.(R3.12)
- Trainees expect to be supported to undertake accurate exception reporting or hours monitoring (if they are on the 2016 or 2002 contract terms and conditions respectively).
4. Sleep and conditions
- Trainees expect fatigue and healthy sleep teaching is a part of their departmental education/induction.
- Trainees expect training units to provide appropriate rest facilities for trainees working on night shifts.
- Trainees expect a positive culture towards taking adequate rests and breaks during shifts, including night shifts.
- Trainees expect to be able to access food and hydration on all shifts that they are expected to work.
- Trainees expect that those who are working night shifts have access to adequate rest facilities following a night shift if they are unable to safely travel home.
5. Less than full time (LTFT) training
- Trainees expect that LTFT trainees will have the same balance of daytime and out of hours working as full time trainees. (3.85i)
- Trainees expect to be provided withtimetables for educational opportunities in sufficient time to allow LTFT trainees to plan their work pattern to maximise exposure to teaching and training.(R3.10, R5.9)
6. Training environment
- Trainees expect training units will foster a positive working environment for them to work alongside the multi-professional team. (S1.2)
- Trainees expect to be given opportunities to reflect in a supported environment and access psychological support as necessary.(R3.2)
- Trainees expect that when a suitable opportunity to undertake a Supervised Learning Event is identified, that this is facilitated and completed on the electronic Portfolio in a timely fashion.(R5.11)
- Trainees expect training units to hold and minute regular junior-senior meetings, support regular junior doctor meetings and involve trainees in monitoring and improving educational quality within the department. (R2.6) The training unit will be accountable to deliver on the recommendations made in the junior-senior meetings.
- Trainees expect that training units, in conjunction with the Heads of School and Training Programme Directors, will ensure that they have access to a breadth of different training environments and opportunities across each level of training, which trainees can use to evidence each curriculum domain in RCPCH Progress. (R1.15, S3.1)
Review date: June 2021
- 1. See www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/ documents/Promoting_excellence_ standards_for_medical_education_and_training_0715.pdf_61939165.pdf
- 2. See www.copmed.org.uk/images/docs/gold_guide_7th_edition/The_Gold_Guide_7th_Edition_January__2018.pdf
- 3. See www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Code%20of%20Practice%202018%20FINAL.pdf (guidance document for England)
- 4. See www.nhsemployers.org/-/media/Employers/Documents/Need-to-know/Rota_design_guidance_January-2017.pdf?la=en&hash=C51AA9A575822E1D32F8A2A8ADD40E11743CE179